Thursday, January 17, 2008

6th & Congress

Unseen. Unheard. The boundary protects me from their view. I act as a solitary observer witnessing the life and inter-workings of the city. I am so much apart of the action as I sit perched at my table situated perfectly in the middle of the city. This intersection is such a melting pot of ethnicities, economic groups, and social spheres. A man in a tuxedo gaits across the street while a homeless man crosses his path. The two represent opposite ends of the spectrum; they are at very different points in their lives. This is a meeting point for all of Austin- a place where paths cross for at least a moment before individuals go their separate ways. UT students on their afternoon run, young professionals heading home, homeless waiting for the next bus, mothers watching carefully over their children – while each of these people wait together before crossing the street, their unique paces reveal much about their lives. Some sprint across the lanes before the flashing sign waves them safely on, most wait patiently before hurrying across, still, some wander forward with little purpose- just barely making progress.
My position is special because in some ways I am very much apart of the city’s action, yet, still, I am removed from all of the street’s vibrancy. I also have a perfect view of the life above the streets. Surrounded by tall office buildings, I can see their occupants going about their day. Directly in front of me a woman sits in her office gazing out over the activity of the city. Now rush hour, the street is active. I’m jealous of her: sitting in complete quiet and experiencing the energy of a lively city. I don’t have that luxury. Instead the noises behind me are a distraction. It’s fascinating to be in one place with its sounds and smells but view another. Crowds move about behind me, yet they are not my focus; it’s the street scene that captivates me. It’s only when the door opens and the sounds of the city rush in that I become aware of how removed I actually am. There are so many sensory layers to a city. Segregating individual layers while revealing others allows for fun play, as it is these senses that dictate the character of a place.

No comments: