Sunday, January 20, 2008

From a Rooftop

Here at the edge of this building I am able to experience the distinct worlds that make up the city, but to really understand our surroundings one has to see every component of these different realms. I am able to perceive sights, sounds, and movements swirling around the various buildings and people I can see from my position at the edge. I am physically in this position, yet I feel a stronger connection to the experiences happening beyond it.
Straight ahead I see buildings starting to fill up with light as the sun goes down, giving  glimpse to the movement happening inside. A few like the large tower under construction remain unlit, and one can  only imagine the vitality it will gain once it is inhabited. In reality these views would seem static and dead if it wasn't for the people that inhabit it. People move in and out of the parking lot below and drive, walk or run to unknown destinations; each at their own pace. They become part of the rhythmic sound of the traffic on either side. 
The city exists through the motion its inhabitants create, and the constant interactions it creates. The path of an object's movement will cross the paths of  many others, thus crating the complex web where everything is connected.

No comments: