Friday, January 18, 2008

The Cold Night at Flight Path Coffee House

My phone rings but I do not want answer it; it rings again and I got out of my bed and reach for it. I see that my friend Isabel is calling me. I finally answer; she says she want to have a coffee. I told her I didn’t know where to go so she said she was the Flight Path Coffee House. I got there and I see m many students working on school assignments. Although students make the vast majority of the guests, few business men stop by. When I arrive to the corner of 51 street and Duval, I can the full parking lot of the coffee house which is about 15 feet away from the place. Once I step into the space, I can only hear the low-tone music playing in the background. The wood floor and the low ceiling make the Flight Path makes me feel warmed and cozy. Right in the middle of the space, I see a little bar where guests can buy coffee, snacks and drinks. I buy my hot coffee and go to meet Isabel.
Once I seat down on one of the wood and metal legged chairs, I can see how most guests are working on their own computers; they seldom talk to each other. The place stays quite unless somebody comes through the entrance door. People tend to pace slowly inside the place because they do not want to bother others. The space has a moderate flow of guests, not too many people stay there at the same time; it is never full. The low-tone lighting inside the house gives the guests more privacy.
I look out the south glass door and I can see the wooden roofed backyard. The backyard is the hang out place for some students. It gets noisy once in a while but the noise barely comes into the indoor space. Students play games such as chess and checkers in the backyard. I somehow see the chess pieces moving by themselves. I scream out loud but Isabel wraps me by the hand and says you need to finish your architecture assignment. I look at the painting on the walls, they are quiet and sad which make the place scarier than what it is. I suddenly wake up.

No comments: